SQL Server Reporting Services, shortly called as SSRS is one of the trending reporting tool in the market. Although, it is the most powerful reporting tool, you can easily learn SSRS in 28 days (Maximum).
Prerequisite: You cannot learn SSRS by simply reading this blog. You have to practice every chart or report by yourself. If you practice multiple time, you can master this reporting tool. So first, Download and install BIDS, or SQL Data Tools. Next, Download and attach AdventureWorks, and AdventureWorksDW database.
How to Learn SSRS in 28 Days!
SSRS is all about Data Sources, Datasets, and Reports.
Learn SSRS Data Sources, and Datasets
First day, Learn everything about the Data Sources, and Datasets.
- New Project
- New Report
- Shared Data Source
- Shared Dataset
- Embedded Data Source
- Embedded Dataset
- Combine Two Datasets
Learn SSRS Basic Reports
Next two days concentrate on creating Basic Reports.
- Table Report
- Matrix Report
- Create a Report using SQL Views
- Create a Report using SQL Stored Procedure
- Display Image in Report
- Add Text Box to Report
- Rectangle in a Report
- List Report
Learn SSRS Report Formatting
Learn about the formatting options in next four days.
- Add Grouping in Table Report
- Adding Row Groups & Column Groups to Matrix Report
- Add Totals, and Subtotals to Reports
- Add, Or Remove Headers and Footers on Reports
- Global Variables to Report
- Export Reports to PDF, XML, Excel, Word
- Format Table Report
- Changing Font and Background Color of a Text Box
- Format Numbers in a Text Box
- Format Date and Time in a Report
- Repeat Headers on Each Page
- Headers Visible While Scrolling
- Filters at Tablix Level
- Filters at Dataset Level
- Sorting Data at Tablix Level
- Interactive Sorting
- Add Alternative Row Color to Report
- Add Row Numbers to Report
Learn SSRS Charts
Next 8 days is all about Charts. I don’t think, you need 7 days’ time to understand the charts.
By 16th day, you know everything about Data Sources, Datasets, Basic Reports, and Charts.
Learn SSRS Advanced Reports
From 16th to 21st concentrate on Advanced reports, and Parameter reports.
Learn SQL Server Report Manager & Deployment
Spend the next five days (22 to 26) to learn about Report manager, and the deployment process.
- SQL Server Reporting Services Configuration Manager
- Change Report Manager Title
- Deploy Reports using BIDS
- Deploy Reports using Report Manager
- Create Shared Data Source in Report Manager
- Cached Reports
- Linked Reports
- Report Parts
- Report Snapshot
- Report History Snapshots
- Upload Text, PDF, and Image to Report Manager
Learn SSRS Report Builder
Use those extra two days to learn about Report Builder.