In this article, we will show you how to Create a New SSRS report with an example. For this SQL reporting demonstration, We are going to use below shown Data Source and Data Set.
Create a New SSRS Report
We can create a new SSRS report in multiple ways: Using report Wizard, and Normal Mode.
Create SSRS Report using Wizard
First, we will show you the first option, alter we will show the other option. Right-click on the Report folder will open the context menu, and please select the first option Add New Report from it.
Once you click on the Add New Report option, it opens the Report wizard. The first page is a Welcome screen. As we already explained the steps involved in creating a report using the wizard, Please refer Create a Report using the Report Wizard article.
Create SSRS Report without using Wizard
In general, we don’t use the report wizard to generate any report. To create a report usually, first go to Solution Explorer. Next, within the solution explorer, Right-click on Reports folder -> Add -> New Item
It will open the Add New Item window with all the available option. Please select the Report option and rename it as per your requirements.
Let me change the Report name to a more meaningful one (FirstReport.rdl)
Once you click on the Add button, a new SSRS report with the specified name will generate. If you observe the Report Data pane, we have five different folders.
- Built-in Fields: These are the built-fields available in SSRS. You can use these items to show the page Numbers, Report Title.
- Parameters: Used this folder to create parameters. Later, these parameters used inside the report. Please refer Report Parameters article to understand the steps involved in creating parameters.
- Images: This is used to add images to the Report. Please refer Display Images Report article to understand the same.
- Data Sources: This folder is used to create an Embedded Data Source. Please refer to the Embedded Data Source article.
- Datasets: This folder is used to create an Embedded DataSet. Please refer to the Embedded DataSet article.
From the below screenshot, you can see the list of Report Items. We have to use these SSRS report items to create a report based on client requirements.