Power BI Filled Maps fill the Map with colors based on the geological data that you provide. Let me show you how to Create a Filled Map in Power BI with example.
For this Power BI Filled Map demonstration, we are going to use the World Population data that we downloaded from the Data bank (in Excel format).
How to Create a Filled Map in Power BI
Dragging any geographical data to the Canvas region will automatically create a Map for you. First, let me drag the Country Names from the world Population table to the Canvas.
Click on the Filled Map under the Visualization section. It converts a Map into a Filled Map.
Next, Drag and Drop the 2016 Population from Fields section to Legend region.
From the above screenshot, you can see the filled map that represents in the country-wise population in the year 2016
Create a Filled Map in Power BI Approach 2
First, click on the filled Map under the Visualization section. It automatically creates a filled Map with dummy data, as shown in the screenshot below.
To add data to a Power BI filled Map, we have to add the required fields:
- Location: Please specify the Geological Column that represents the Bubbles.
- Legend: Specify the Column that sub-divide the Location data. Something like Territory, Country, Region, or Continent
- Latitude and Longitude: If your data has latitude and longitude information, then you can use them to get the exact location.
- Size: Specify the Column that represents the Bubbles size.
- Color Saturation: Any Numeric value that decides the color of the bubble.
Let me drag the country name from the Fields section to the Location Section. You can do this by dragging the country name to the Location section, or simply checkmark the country name column.
Next, let me add the 2016 population to the legend section. Now you see the filled map
Let me do some quick formatting to this Power BI filled Map
NOTE: I suggest you to refer Format Filled Maps article to understand the formatting options.
Hover-over any region to see the country name, and the country population.