How to add Data Bars to Table in Power BI with an example?. Adding Data Bars to a Power BI Table report is one of the common scenarios that you are going to face in real-time.
To demonstrate the add Data Bars to Table in Power BI, we are going to use the Table that we created earlier. Please refer to Create a Table in Power BI article to understand the steps involved in creating a table.
How to add Data Bars to Table in Power BI
Before we start adding the data bars to Power BI table report, let me show you the data (columns) that we used for this table creation. As you see from the below screenshot, we added English Product Sub-category Name, Total Product Cost, Sales Amount, and Order Quantity to the values section to create this table.
First Approach to add Data Bars to Table in Power BI
In this example, we are using the Power Bi conditional formatting option available in Desktop.
Select the Column Name (metric Value) on/for which you want to apply data bars. In this example, we use the Order Quantity column to add data bars.
First, click on the down arrow beside the Order Quantity column under the Values section opens the Context Menu. Please select the Conditional Formatting and then Select Data Bars, as we have shown below.
Selecting Data Bars opens the following window.
- Base Value: Column that you selected
- Show bar Only: If you checkmark this option, then only data bars display for each row; otherwise, both value and data bar will display.
- Minimum: By default, it selects the Minimum value (Minimum Order Quantity). Use the drop-down to change the Minimum to Number, and assign Minimum value inside the Lowest Value Text box.
- Maximum: By default, it selects the Maximum value (Maximum Order Quantity). Use the drop-down to change the Maximum to Number, and assign Maximum value inside the Highest Value Text box.
- Positive Bar: Please select the color of a Positive bar.
- Negative Bar: Please select the color of a Negative bar.
- Bar Direction: Change the Data Bar direction from left to Right or Right to the left.
- Axis: Change the Data Bar Axis color
For now, we are keeping the default settings
Now, you can see the Data bars inside the Order Quantity Column
Remove Data Bars from Table in Power BI
Select the Column Name (metric Value) on which you applied or added the data bar. In our previous step, we added a data bar on the Order Quantity column. So, click on the down arrow beside the Order Quantity column open the Context Menu.
Please select the Remove Conditional Formatting and then Select Data Bars, as we showed below.
And we successfully removed the data bars from a table.
Second Approach to add Data Bars to Table in Power BI
Please click on the Format button to see the list of table formatting options. Next, go to the Condition Formatting section to add data bars. In this Power BI example, we want to add data bars to the Order Quantity column in this table. So, we are selecting that column using the drop-down list.
Next, toggle the data Bars property from Off to On add Data Bars as we shown below. You can use the Advanced Controls hyperlink to format this data bars.
Click on the Advanced Controls will open the following window.
Let me change the Minimum value to 100, and Maximum value to 19000
Next, we check-marked the Show Bar Only property.
Now you can see the Data bars only (only data bar no numeric value).