A Story in Tableau is a sequence of visualizations (Worksheets, or Dashboards) that work together to convey a message. For example, you can create a Tableau story to tell: why a particular product is not performing well, why we are getting negative profits on the highest sales region, or why sales are not improving with a previous management decision, etc.
In this article, we will show you how to create a Story in Tableau with an example. For this example, we are going to use the below-shown Workbook.
Create a Story in Tableau Example
Please click on the New Story tab to create a Tableau Story.
Now you can see the Tableau Storyboard.
- Blank: Use this button to create a new Story Point.
- Duplicate: Use this button to Duplicate the existing Story point
- Sheets: List of Worksheets Sheet that is available to create this story.
- Drag to Add Text: This will help you to add Custom Text on Top of the Story Point.
- Show Title: Checkmark this option to display the Story Title; otherwise, uncheck this property.
- Size: Use this property to adjust the display size of a Story.
- Add a Caption: Use this Area to explain the Story Point
- It is the actual work area.
- Name of the Storyboard. Right-click and select the Rename Sheet option context menu to rename the Story.
Hover over any sheet to see the sheet preview, and by clicking the marked button will take you to the original sheet.
Let me Drag and Drop the Google Map sheet to the Story Point.
Now you can see the map. Let me use the Add caption to write a Caption.
We have written some sample Text as a Case Study. If you observe the below screenshot, 4 buttons are displaying on top of the caption box. And they are:
- Delete: To delete the Current Story Point
- Revert: Use this to undo the changes.
- Update: To update the caption
- Save a New: This will save the caption as a New Story Point.
Create a New Story Point in Tableau Story
Click on the Blank button to add New story point in Tableau
And you can see the new one
As you can see from the below screenshot, we added the Line Chart to this story point. We also added some sample text as the caption.
Duplicate Story Point of a Tableau Story
Tableau allows you to duplicate the existing story point. To do so, click on the Duplicate button to duplicate the current story point
and you can see the same
Add Text to a Story in Tableau
Drag and drop the Drag to Add Text Object to work area to add custom text or Description to the Tableau Story Point. Once you drop the Drag to Add Text Object on to the work area, a new pop-up window called Edit Description will open. Use this window to write your description.
Now you can, Text added to our Story point
Display Size of a Story in Tableau
By default Fixed-size with Story Size option is selected by Tableau. Under the Size, you can change the size of a Story as per your requirement. It can be helpful to design your story based on Size. Automatic option will adjust the story point as per the Screen size
Under the Fixed option, we have multiple options to select. Let me choose the Web Page Embedded for now.
Format Tableau Story Layout
The layout tab is used to format the captions of a Story in Tableau.
- Caption Box: This is the default option. Use this option to display the caption
- Numbers: Use this option to display the numbers (1, 2, 3,…) instead of a caption.
- Dots: Use this option to display Dots
- Show arrows: Checkmark this option to display the arrows around the captions; otherwise, uncheck this property.
Let me select the Numbers option for demonstration purposes.
Remove a Story Point from Tableau Story
By simply clicking the Delete button, you can delete the caption along with the story point from the current story.
And you can see that we successfully deleted a story point in Tableau.