Steps involved in Connecting Tableau to Microsoft Analysis Services
If you have not started the Tableau yet, Double click on the Tableau desktop to open. Once it is open, it looks like below screenshot
First, Under the Connect to a Server section, Please select the Microsoft Analysis Services Option
Once you selected the Microsoft Analysis Services Option, a new window will open to configure the Server Connections.
- Server: Please specify the instance name to connect with Microsoft Analysis Services
- Local Cube File: If the Cube file is in your file system then select this option.
- Enter information to log on to the server: Use this section to decide how you want to connect with Microsoft Analysis Services. If you want to use the current windows login credentials then select Use Windows Authentication option otherwise, Please select Use specific Username and Password option and specify the credentials (Username and Password) to access the SQL Server.
For now, we just used our own instance and click on OK button
If you want to choose the cube file from local hard drive then select Local Cube File option. Once you selected this option, the Browse button will enable to navigate us the entire file system as shown below. You can download this Cube from Microsoft official Download Center.
After you click OK button, below screenshot will appear. Please understand the following option before you start creating a report
- This section will display the Instance name we used to connect with the Microsoft Analysis Services.
- Select a Database: This section will display the list Microsoft Analysis Services Databases available for that instance.
- Select a Cube: This section will display the list of Cubes present in selected Microsoft Analysis Services Database.
- This region will display the Measures and Dimensions available in the selected cube.
Under the Database section, We have to select the required Database available in that Instance. In this example, We have only one Database so, we are selecting an AdventureWorksDW2014 Multidimensional database.
Under the Select a Cube section, We have to select the required Cube available in the selected database. In this example, We are selecting Adventure Works Cube. Once you selected the required Cube, Region 4 will display the Measures and Dimensions available in that cube.
NOTE: Do not worry above the Cubes, Dimensions etc. just understand the procedure to connect Microsoft Analysis Services from Tableau. However, if you are excited to learn, Please read our SQL Server Analysis Services Tutorial
Once you finished reviewing the data, Click on Sheet 1 to design the Tableau Report
- Data: This will display the list of currently connected data Sources. We have only one at this time otherwise, it will display all the data sources available.
- Dimensions: All the Dimensions, Natural Hierarchies and User hierarchies we created in SQL Server Analysis Services will be placed under the Dimensions section
- Measures: You can place columns with Numeric data or Metric values under the Measures section
- This is the region where we design our Tableau reports by dragging Measures and Dimensions
Thank You for Visiting Our Blog