The Informatica PowerCenter Designer helps us to create or edit the PowerCenter objects such as Source(s), Transformation(s), Target(s), and mapping(s). In this article, we explain to you every component present in the Informatica PowerCenter Designer.
Informatica PowerCenter Designer
In order to open the Informatica PowerCenter Designer, Please Go to the Start menu -> All Programs -> Informatica 9.6.1 -> PowerCenter Designer. Once you click on that, following window will be opened.
From the below screenshot, you can observe that We divided the Informatica PowerCenter Designer screen into five sections to explain each section in detail. Let us see them individually,
- Navigator: This section allows us to connect with the Informatica Repository services and navigate between Different Folders such as Source, Target, Transformation, etc.
- Work space: This section is used to perform designing, which includes creating or modifying Sources and targets, creating reusable transformation, grouping multiple transformations, and performing the mapping.
- Toolbar: By default, it shows the most commonly used components (such as transformations) while designing. We can edit this section as per our requirements.
- Output window: Here, you can check whether the given code is Valid or not, find the Errors.
- Status bar: This section of Informatica PowerCenter Designer displays the status of the current operation.
Before we start designing we have to connect with the Repository Service so, Please select and Right Click the PowerCenter Repository Service (INF_Repository) under the repository section and select the Connect option
TIP: Here, you have to provide the Admin Username and password that you specified while installing the Informatica Server.
Once you connected to Informatica Repository successfully, the following window will display. If you observe the below screenshot, you can see the Subfolders inside our tutorials folder.
The following screenshot will show the list of available tools inside the Informatica PowerCenter Designer. These tools will help us to work with Source, Target, and ETL operations.
- Source Analyzer: This will allow us to create source definitions, Modify existing source definitions and also allows us to Import data from various sources includes Flat Files, Relational Databases, XML definitions, Excel Worksheets, etc
- Target Designer: This will enable us to create target definitions, Modify existing target definitions and Import target definition from various sources includes Flat Files, Relational Databases, XML definitions, Excel Worksheets
- Transformation Developer: This will allow us to create reusable transformations. It means, we can use the existing transformations to create more robust transformation.
- Mapplet Designer: This will allow us to create a group of transformations that can reuse in multiple mappings.
- Mapping Designer: This is the place where we are going to perform Extraction, transformation, and Load. Mapping means Source -> Transformations (If Required) -> Target. It allows us to use one or more Sources, One or More transformations, and One or more Target Designers.
Instead of using the Tools Menu, We can use the following Images to navigate between the Source, Target, and mapping. Each image in this Informatica PowerCenter Designer belongs to one component, and they are:
- Source Analyzer
- Target Designer
- Transformation Developer
- Mapplet Designer
- Mapping Designer